• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Declined [1 MONTH VOTE] Remove rule against speaking non-English

Allow people to speak languages other than English on the servers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
"No matter where you're from, it'd be appreciated if you could stick to English only so that most people (especially staff members) can understand you."

This is a rule we currently enforce as most of you know. However, after reconsideration on my end and seeing players leave servers due to this rule being enforced, I want to hear everyone's opinion on this and if you actually want it in place on our servers or not.

You do not have to reply, you may just vote on the poll. However, hearing differing arguments about keeping/removing this rule would be appreciated. We will also accept suggested changes to this rule as opposed to removing it, and I may even add it as an option the poll.

This vote will last a month. After then, if a majority is in favor (based on votes/replies), we will remove* the rule, and not if the votes are significantly mixed or largely against.

Reactions: pancakes_

Ray

Head Weenie
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
Canada
I’m for removing it, if a player does not want to hear it I think they could easily just use ignore, however I think it should be restricted on deathrun and jailbreak where the game modes may require the players to be interactive so I think then the English only rule makes sense in my opinion.

also please admin I don’t english well :(

What ever happened to english only on mic while in chat any language was fine?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight

OwO The Destoyer

Jan 11, 2019
I am going to be voting No

some upside to removing this rule:
However I do see the upsides of allowing diversity in language. The community would most definitely grow in size, and Wonderland servers would feel a lot more inclusive.

Some problems I see with removing this rule:

It feels like a majority of players connect from the United States, or English speaking Europe. If for instance a player who speaks only one language(other than English) where to go warden on a Jailbreak server, or convey critical information on a trade server, the English speaking majority wouldn't understand what they had just said. Administrators or Mods who only speak English would also be unable to solve disputes between two non-English speaking players, or only get one side of the story.

Some alternative solutions:
Maybe instead of removing the rule entirely we go for a majority rule, where if a majority of the server is speaking one language, than that is the default for the server on top of English. Maybe to solve disputes we have a whitelist of languages that can be spoken, and have translators/ Mods who speak that language help out.

Reactions: Eight and Hypernova

Snoop.

Celebrity
Mar 30, 2018
Pros: More people will be happy to play wonderland
Neutral: You won't understand everyone
Cons: We will need someone to translate the dif languages and getting dif staff with different speaking skills. Fights will break out more about peoples ethnicity and race.

otherwise + 1 for all servers but any interactive ones like Jailbreak etc

• Sad
Reactions: Hypernova

sowon

Valorant
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Sep 12, 2019
united kingdom
While I'm all for encouraging people to play on Wonderland servers from all backgrounds and countries, removing the rule against non-English speakers could cause a lot of issues in communication for servers like Jailbreak in particular.
Other places like Deathrun might not suffer as much, but I think it should stay as is.

Davey

Dallas
★ Donor ★
Mar 18, 2019
Hungary
In my opinion, if Wonderland was founded as an English speaking community, then it shall keep its tradition of speak on one of the most spoken languages on earth. I mean, as staff do you want to have a conversation with a rule-breaker who doesn't speak English. As an average player would you connect to a server to listen to people that you don't understand, and then have no other option but to mute them. Therefore, you would not be able to talk on your language? As staff once again, how will you deal with racism and other verbal offences without knowing what are the people saying? I could give a sea load of more examples, but you should get my point now.

Even though I speak Russian and Hungarian fluently besides English, I'm absolutely against removing the rule. This vote will decide the future of our community! Please think about the consequences this change may lead to; you may not see Wonderland as fantastic afterwards!

Dovydas

Aug 13, 2017
Lithuania
I think we should allow non english speaking on servers that aren't hosted in english speaking countries so servers that are hosted in poland for example would be allowed to speak polish (but since we arent really gonna know if its actually polish or not they're just allowed to speak any language) but on US servers you can only speak english (these are just examples but you get the point).
Since some people go on servers hosted in their country because they think speaking their own language is allowed but as others have said servers like jailbeak should still be english only for moderating reasons

Mystical

Sep 21, 2019
I think different languages should be allowed for most of the servers. If someone has a problem with a different language, they can just mute the person. However, everyone should be expected to understand english, because if an admin comes on and the players don't understand anything, then things can get rough.

However, any server that requires communication between players, i.e. jailbreak, should still remain English only, otherwise it won't be fun. (Maybe other language servers)

Snoop.

Celebrity
Mar 30, 2018
I think different languages should be allowed for most of the servers. If someone has a problem with a different language, they can just mute the person.

However, any server that requires communication between players, i.e. jailbreak, should still remain English only, otherwise it won't be fun.
i agree but maybe have dif speaking jailbreak servers?

Rain

Frog
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
May 10, 2018
Roundabout City
Well, would staff members suddenly be expected to google translate anything anyone says? By not understanding the language, you can also not quickly resolve disputes or cases of toxicity - unless the "victim(s)" tells you about it and then you'll have the hassle of translating it anyways. I do see the positives to the idea, but imho it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Reactions: Neliel
Status
Not open for further replies.