• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

A Detailed Description of (in my Opinion) Fundamental Problems and Suggestions for Resolving them

Some Dumbass

Certified, and Awarded Special
★ Donor ★
Sep 21, 2018
Oregon, the rainy state
Hello,
Before I start, No this is not specifically about me nor is meant to be an attack on any one person I understand a bar was set, and people followed it for years I'd like to raise that bar so to speak. We can only work towards the future, not the past.

Over the past several years I have noticed a problem that's popped up more and more, and in my personal opinion is a fundamental issue. People aren't understanding what or why bans, mutes, gags, team bans, VIP stripped, and of course, isos are being applied. While I have personally have been affected by this in the past I know a lot of other people have and are too, just look here on forums take a random appeal, accepted, declined, still pending even, and about half of the time I can bet you there's a line somewhere that goes like "I don't know what I did to get banned but it says _______". (A few examples are below)

Now I am specifically going to be talking about TF2 punishments here, but some points will still apply later. I think the current system for looking up bans is great. However that's not the issue, the issue is that I've yet to see it fully utilized, on the website right now I've gone back 30 pages which is 900 punishments for various reasons looked at them, and found no demos, nor any other punishment I've ever looked at. While looking at those 900 punishments, I noticed some of them have very great and detailed reasons as to why they were applied, most of them are from the anti-cheat other than that it's umbrella terms, like Racism, Toxicity, Hate speech, trolling. Now at the same time, I also noticed these used but with added context like "Racism (slur usage)", "extreme toxicity, accusing people of being pedophiles, and community disrespect", and "Hate speech (homophobic and racial slurs)". These are in my opinion good, especially the toxicity one (obvious example used), which tells exactly what they were doing and others what not to do, it sets a clear precedent that can be pointed back to and used as an example. Now I'm sure many of you reading this are just saying "Read the rules" which many people and staff point to, but that's mainly only going to be useful for the Jb rules because they're actually detailed and played out throughout the years. But the general rules here on the forums, discord, and all other Wonderland places are, generalized and unspecified and sometimes left up to interpretation, and this alone is the reason I'm convinced rule #1 under other rulings "Staff reserve the right to add or amend rules at any time to close loopholes or to keep the server a friendly and fair place." is a patch job made to make sure no one could say "But it's not in the rules". The main problem with this is, that it's entirely dependent on which staff you're talking to and sometimes even their opinion of you, your tone, and their mood even (I've seen and had this happen). These rulings are never consistent across all staff until one common agreed upon one is made official, either by vote for the rules or out of the need for consistency. Jb is a good example of this, the rules have to constantly be edited, changed, and at points, even conflict based on interpretation, or "it's this way because staff told me". It's a mess but I'm glad it's being worked on, but Jb is a small part of the whole and I believe that a well-written detailed base ruleset is needed just as a baseline to set a precedent because as it stands not even I know all the rules after 6 years there are still new things people are being punished for I thought was totally fine or were before and as a new member, being told you can't do this, this, and this despite reading the rules and thinking otherwise has to be a bit off-putting at the least this is what I'd like to suggest alleviating.

My suggestions to these issues I've pointed to are to have the future ban reasons across all of Wonderland to be semi-detailed (adding like 5-6 words to point out what exactly or near what was under the punishment category) to avoid it being left up to assumptions. For example, using hate speech as a reason is a very generalizing term, as hate speech's establish dictionary definition (Link) is "public speech that expresses hate or encourages violence toward a person or group based on something such as race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation" which is a generalization of different offensive language under one term, but like Hate speech (homophobia and racial slurs) would provide more context and set precedence. As for the rules, they need to be clarified maybe even expanded upon now, or especially if major things come up later, such as changing definitions of words, or finding out something people used to do was, or is now offensive. For example, I am on places that have temporarily banned talking about the current war in Ukraine because it's deemed too political and potentially offensive, but it's announced and understood.

This third part is gonna be more specific toward the discord punishments but as stated earlier some points still apply. Now I can't actively look at the discord logs, or even my own ban reason currently, that's an issue plain and simple. If you don't have friends on the server tell you why, or you ask staff to tell you which might not be possible because you are now banned from what might be the only server you share, so you'd have to track down their Id's and friend them. Or you could come here to the forums and open a helpdesk page mind you this is to ask why you've been punished and the last person to do that was Majora for an iso, then Sinpers_ for a ban reason, then myself (had to appeal to get an answer) that's it for all of 2021. Now I already know the wln.tf discord bot tells you that you've been warned and I appreciate that however, it does not tell you that you've been banned or iso'd and for what reasons. In light of a recent appeal by Phoenix, I am scared by the precedent it sets, not only for my own potential appeal, but Cheems's, and Hoshi's if they choose to do so as well. And where it scares me is when Phoenix says "I shouldnt have asked or talked about it in the first place" despite also saying "I Only know a little on what happened but ill try to explain it as best as I can" when my or neither of the other two's ban reason wasn't even posted so I don't understand how he was supposed to "not talk about" when 3 people were banned without an explanation, reason, or warning because as you might have seen, it concerned some people in general chat.

My final suggestions are similar to the above, simply adding more detail to ban reasons. A more clarified ruleset although it's pretty good as is, mainly pushes towards updating them when newer more specific actions are deemed punishable. There's one main difference however, (sorry Isla) the bot, please have it send you an iso and ban notification, reason included, or have them available as a tab on bans.wonderland.tf, just please let us have a way to find out ourselves why. (iso not as much as a concern if it's in public logs) and I'd like to ask the warns system to be used more, I've had 5 total iso's and only 3 warns (one was removed)

To conclude this post I'd like to start with my reasoning behind making this, I touched upon this topic lightly in the ticket I was banned for and wanted to elaborate more at a later time, well it's been nearly a month and I've had time to sit down and write this and think about it, I don't want to seem like I'm trying to trash on Wonderland I've been around here for closer to 6 years, and through my own experiences bad or good this place has been a space to grow as a person. I don't want to see people discontent or hysterical just simply having to speak here because they're afraid to get banned for asking about something, I want it to be as open and accessible to everyone as it was to me. I know I'm brash about my opinions but that's simply because I truly care and have the best intentions that I'm passionate about. It's not the strict punishment I have a problem with I do that myself and have for years, it's when no explanation is provided to avoid further rule-breaking and the whole chat starts talking about it causing more punishments to be dealt with. People don't break rules because they know they are there, they break them because they had the intent to cause trouble in the first place. When you go to appeal you should be able to easily know why or what you've been punished for and know you've fucked up, or be able to prove you did nothing wrong. Obviously, not NSFW punishments as those would need to be handled differently. In short, I made this post because I see it as a fundamental flaw in the way punishments, information, and appeals are dealt with currently and it disturbs me something this simple can turn people down and away.

Thanks for reading, I know it was long but I felt it needed to be said, definitely let me know your thoughts,
Riley

References:

Forum Pages Mentioned:
-Current General rules
-Current Jb rules
-Majora's helpdesk question about iso reasoning
-Sinpers_'s helpdesk question about iso reasoning
-My own helpdesk question about iso reasoning
-My appeal for an answer
-Phoenix's discord ban appeal

Bans Examples Mentioned:

(All steam profiles and bans listed were triple checked using rep.tf (for consistent Steam Ids and Username matching), bans.wonderland.tf (for punishment reason listed, if listed), and Steam (duh) to ensure accuracy, but please let me know if I've made a mistake.)

-A Banned user whose ban reason isn't listed on bans.wonderland.tf (only one of the listed alt accounts is listed as banned for avoiding punishment, again with no original ban listed)
-Banned user whose ban reason was unknown to staff and themselves
-Only notable because 3 of their 6 bans have 3 or more words in the reason listed (Ban list)
-Discord ban, user didn't know why
-Rare instance of someone getting IP banned for actually no reason
-The second instance of a user whose ban reason isn't listed except for one of the 3 accounts (VPN ban) still, no original ban listed (I'd assume the same reason though)
-Guard ban, Reason: freepb and j, not listed on bans

Some Dumbass

★ Donor ★
Sep 21, 2018
Oregon, the rainy state
so my understanding is

instead of doing

/ban yarub 1440 racism

do something like

/ban yarub 1440 slur usage or /ban yarub 1440 Xenophobia

correct me if im wrong
I mean I'd add if it was racist, "Racial slur usage - N-word" or in a way sort of alluding to what they said and why it was punished, obviously without saying it and probably be less detailed required than other punishments. As I'd definitely add more detail to Xenophobia, as it literally encompasses worldwide offensive terms based on nationality in previous, and so like who and how they offended maybe for example "Xenophobia - Insulting Americans calling them all fat and lazy". The main point is to elaborate on how and what isn't allowed mainly not just set Xenophobia or Racism as a punishment reason as that could mean literally anything that falls under those.

Some Dumbass

★ Donor ★
Sep 21, 2018
Oregon, the rainy state
I'm referring to that, but also to the definition given by
all are varied in definition

floot_guy

floot_guy
★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
floot_guy
I find this idea very interesting and accurate.
For years, I've always seen people getting confused over their bans.
Even I, a 'regular' member, didn't know the meaning of 'Avoiding Punishment'. I thought it was LTAP.
Now you're gonna say 'LTAP' to someone new, they won't have any idea it is.

The words provided to normal users are too technical and direct.
Even things like 'Hate Speech' or 'Toxicity' requires a lot of other details.

Idea 1:
Add another field in the system that says 'details'. Let's say, the reason is the title and the right below it says 'details.
Example: Someone gets banned for having a duplicate account. The ban message would say:
"You have been banned bla bla,
Reason: Avoiding Punishment (or Duplicate Account)
Details: "Alternate accounts detected with the same ip address"
In the bans.tf table it would show:
Player: ...
Reason: Avoiding Punishment
Details: Alternate accounts detected with the same ip address

Idea 2: force an admin to add an information about a ban when banning someone
IDK how the web-ban system works, but if it is in a form submission format, make the fields entry compulsory, like, the text box thing should not be left empty...

Idea 3 - A bot that automatically sends the punished user the ban details message (Discord DMs or Steam-profile post)
I still don't know how this or the ban system works but it was worth saying

[just realised i forgot to click on Post Reply lol]

Some Dumbass

★ Donor ★
Sep 21, 2018
Oregon, the rainy state
I find this idea very interesting and accurate.
For years, I've always seen people getting confused over their bans.
Even I, a 'regular' member, didn't know the meaning of 'Avoiding Punishment'. I thought it was LTAP.
Now you're gonna say 'LTAP' to someone new, they won't have any idea it is.

The words provided to normal users are too technical and direct.
Even things like 'Hate Speech' or 'Toxicity' requires a lot of other details.

Idea 1:
Add another field in the system that says 'details'. Let's say, the reason is the title and the right below it says 'details.
Example: Someone gets banned for having a duplicate account. The ban message would say:
"You have been banned bla bla,
Reason: Avoiding Punishment (or Duplicate Account)
Details: "Alternate accounts detected with the same ip address"
In the bans.tf table it would show:
Player: ...
Reason: Avoiding Punishment
Details: Alternate accounts detected with the same ip address

Idea 2: force an admin to add an information about a ban when banning someone
IDK how the web-ban system works, but if it is in a form submission format, make the fields entry compulsory, like, the text box thing should not be left empty...

Idea 3 - A bot that automatically sends the punished user the ban details message (Discord DMs or Steam-profile post)
I still don't know how this or the ban system works but it was worth saying

[just realised i forgot to click on Post Reply lol]
Thank you for taking the time to respond as you probably have more insight/experience than I do. As to your ideas, I think they're almost the same as mine if not more specific the 1st one about details thing is a good idea and probably should be one and same as the 2nd one. and idea 3 is the same as my own or if I think you're asking to add in-game bans as well that's good, although I wouldn't post it on Steam Profiles. But overall similar thoughts.
I didn't want to suggest any drastic changes as it might be too aggressive or too pointless as I have done that in the past, so I just said add a few words onto the ban reasoning to ensure the reasoning was obvious or got across at all to the recipient in the first place, a clearer definition of the rules, and an actual way to look at discord bans instead of having to ask.
(also yes clicking post might help)
we dont want to write a novel explaining and covering every extreme edge case
Ment to reply to this days ago, don't know why I didn't
Trust me I wouldn't want to either but there's a point where being overly specific, and specific enough need to be met for a rule set, and in my personal opinion, the general rules do not meet that at all. The General offenses category is actually really good, maybe add a point or two here and there, for example under the "Do not abuse the reports system." I'd simply just add "this includes false reports and spamming of reports" but overall it's like someone actually went and thought about it, unlike the rest of the list. Like "This includes any use of slurs or variants on slurs." but obviously not any slurs as it says, only the offensive ones as it's under hate speech. But that isn't defined either and as a bullet point under the rule isn't it supposed to help define what falls under it? And also the no mic/chat spam rule literally says next to the rule "under any circumstances", then defines 5 circumstances when it's allowed like ???. I also have a personal problem with the point of "don't start pointless arguments with staff" as it's completely subjective. also when is the last time someone got banned for encouraging rule-breaking by offering a reward like come on if that rule was actually enforced JB would be a lot scarcer. But as I'm sure you know as the JB manager the rules are important to not only staff but players too, that's why the suggested JB rules thread has so many long and numerous posters so I'm sure people would be willing to help myself included.

Reactions: floot_guy

PBandJ

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 13, 2020
Tennessee, USA
also when is the last time someone got banned for encouraging rule-breaking by offering a reward like come on if that rule was actually enforced JB would be a lot scarcer.
I do enforce it, gotta warn/ban someone for it like once a week, and i haven't seen how it makes jb 'scarcer'. Regulars tend to not attempt it, and it requires a warning first before a ban anyways