• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Accepted Auto balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoop.

Celebrity
Mar 30, 2018
-1 if you worded this differently then I would support. Let me rephrase what you essentially just said. "Kick off new players from blue team because they are not worthy enough to be on it." This is kinda stupid ngl. Auto-balance does what auto-balance wants. There is no way of really making the perfect auto balance but the only way is for staff to do mic checks or to play on a server for a while doing whatever they want until they catch a guard off guard and do something dumb. I think with the new "afk guards get teamswitch" rule is kind of helpful to this really but it will not stop freekillers or no mic guards from joining but its still a start. Plus being on red team can be fun too! Overall -1 I do not support

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
On one hand, I get what you mean and this could indeed help to only have experienced BLUs.

However, on the other hand, I dislike that it turns entry onto BLU team into a contest of who can get the most hours.

I think I'd be more supportive if people with, say, >3-8 hours on the servers were prioritized over others with less-so. Then, there would be a less aggressive block than say guardbanning new players, but there would also be protection against noob BLUs and they'd be encouraged to gain experience as a RED.

Reactions: Hypernova

Hypernova

the one with many names
★ Donor ★
Jun 25, 2019
???
I think I'd be more supportive if people with, say, >3-8 hours on the servers were prioritized over others with less-so. Then, there would be a less aggressive block than say guardbanning new players, but there would also be protection against noob BLUs and they'd be encouraged to gain experience as a RED.
I can agree to that.

Mew

Honorary Member ★
Jul 31, 2019
+1 to what 8 said. Still gives inexperienced players a chance to go blue, but prioritzes those that have some knowledge/familiarity with rulings if there's not a 1:2 ratio of blues to reds.

Sleep Paralysis Demon

Forum Activist
Dec 28, 2018
+1. This would also prevent players banned in the past from creating new accounts or with new IP's and troll as a guard/warden. 100%!
And depending on which programming language you use, it wouldn't be so hard.

I just thought about it for a second, but it would prevent new players from becoming warden, and they'd never learn. Neutral leaning towards a +1.

Ex-User (7989)

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Sep 9, 2019
So it's been a while since this thread and since it's been necro'd, I feel like some comments from my end is due.

I've seen it time and time again where people join the server for the first time and play on blue team for the first time. Why wouldn't they want to? Blue team gives a greater sense of freedom, in where those new players no longer run the risk of dying due to them not understanding the game while on red team. Now I feel a much more efficient way to combat this is through giving these new players an optional mini-tutorial prompt. It would be small, non-invasive, but also difficult to implement.

I picture this working as people connecting to the servers for the first time get a yes or no prompt which can lead to a couple of things:
1. A training server
Possibly the most intensive option, but efficient and interactive. This server would run players through a course of situations in which they have to use the process of elimination, along with a highlight of rules relating to that situation on their screen, to traverse the course until the end. This server could, although I personally vote against it, be a ticket to unlocking the privilege of joining blu team in a public server.
2. Pop-up video
Simple and easy to execute. Upon accepting the tutorial, player will be shown a quick video that gives them rundowns of the rules and what to do in cases where freekill or other illegal actions occur. I imagine rundowns to be very quick, giving simplified definitions, and possibly examples, of the rules of the game.
3. Forum post
Finally, we could settle for absolute simplicity and have this tutorial be a forum post which gives tips for playing on both teams and a few examples of what you can and cannot do. Not only would this help newer players, but some seasoned ones too in expanding their warden order pallete.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
So it's been a while since this thread and since it's been necro'd, I feel like some comments from my end is due.

I've seen it time and time again where people join the server for the first time and play on blue team for the first time. Why wouldn't they want to? Blue team gives a greater sense of freedom, in where those new players no longer run the risk of dying due to them not understanding the game while on red team. Now I feel a much more efficient way to combat this is through giving these new players an optional mini-tutorial prompt. It would be small, non-invasive, but also difficult to implement.

I picture this working as people connecting to the servers for the first time get a yes or no prompt which can lead to a couple of things:
1. A training server
Possibly the most intensive option, but efficient and interactive. This server would run players through a course of situations in which they have to use the process of elimination, along with a highlight of rules relating to that situation on their screen, to traverse the course until the end. This server could, although I personally vote against it, be a ticket to unlocking the privilege of joining blu team in a public server.
2. Pop-up video
Simple and easy to execute. Upon accepting the tutorial, player will be shown a quick video that gives them rundowns of the rules and what to do in cases where freekill or other illegal actions occur. I imagine rundowns to be very quick, giving simplified definitions, and possibly examples, of the rules of the game.
3. Forum post
Finally, we could settle for absolute simplicity and have this tutorial be a forum post which gives tips for playing on both teams and a few examples of what you can and cannot do. Not only would this help newer players, but some seasoned ones too in expanding their warden order pallete.
No to the first idea. I just don't think it's practical.

The third idea is a possibility, sure, but we already have the Jailbreak rules.

Honestly, the second idea appeals to me the most. I like the idea of a short, video tutorial on how to play as a BLU. It wouldn't cover all of the Jailbreak rules, but it would cover the basic "do's and dont's" in hopes of avoiding more common issues such as players with no microphones, Sticky-trapping, freehitting, etc.

The reason this idea appeals to me more than the third is that I personally feel players would find something visual like this more appealing to watch than they'd find a forum post with lots of text appealing to read. (Again, they could just read the Jailbreak rules if they were willing to read tutorials.)

The only drawback is that pop-ups are annoying and people may just absentmindedly click away from this if it appeared on their screen. So, it'd need to have a good presentation. My idea is that a menu on the left (like the ones that pop-up from using commands) would appear if a player joined BLU team on Jailbreak for the first time. It would say "Welcome! Would you like to watch a short tutorial on playing as a Guard on Jailbreak?" with a yes and a no option. If yes was selected, then a MOTD would appear with the video and a link to the video would be pasted in chat (in-case the player had MOTDs disabled).

In-case anyone asks about who'd make it, well I would be willing to. I presume other staff would be interested in helping out, too, but I won't speak for anyone.

Reactions: Ex-User (7989)

MissMaye

The Overseer
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
link to the video would be pasted in chat
that nobody would click ergo the problem begins again
Pop-up video
if somehow this video plays during a round its either gonna appear in the mic output of someone on blue while they go warden to make Funny Joke or its gonna become the new old motd ads that played loud audio while the round continues. Even if its a pop out video, linking to the browser, the round would keep going and the video would be largely ignored and ultimately dismissed until the interest in it is diminished

It sounds good in theory abut there's no set way that it can really be implemented and remain effective

no hate just not fan

Stao

Bully
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Nov 20, 2018
Minnesota
I think a Tutorial video is a good idea, but not as a solution to balance issues. The best solution I've come up with so far is to have balanced be based off of whether or not LR is given, if the round lasts longer than 2 minutes and lastly just based off of who joined first, and work like a queue, kinda like GMod JB. This would encourage BLUs towards actually giving LR and playing correctly. The 2 minute timer would help kick off BLUs who are mass freekilling.

This isn't full proof, but I believe is a better option. If balanced checked for these things, I think it'd help. It would also make VIP perks more useful.

Thoughts?

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
that nobody would click ergo the problem begins again
That's easy to say, but it can't be proven until we try it out. Worst case scenario is people use it to mic-spam sometimes and it only helps out a few people. That's it; there would be no significant, negative impact to gameplay. At least nothing worse than our current situation where a lot of the players don't read the Jailbreak rules.

My point here is that this is a stab at a prevalent issue in Jailbreak with little drawbacks and so, even if it has a realistic possibility of being ignored/ineffective, there's no reason to not do it (besides wasted time on whoever created it I guess, but you end up running the risk of wasting your time with every new thing you do IMO).

Even if its a pop out video, linking to the browser, the round would keep going and the video would be largely ignored and ultimately dismissed until the interest in it is diminished. Even if its a pop out video, linking to the browser, the round would keep going and the video would be largely ignored and ultimately dismissed until the interest in it is diminished
I agree that if this tutorial video was a pop-up that wasn't optional, yes it'd become pretty annoying in-game. But if it was optional? Then they aren't being annoyed (unless they clicked on it by accident, but that's their fault and they can easily click away) and, supposing they chose to watch the video, there would be no reason for them to ignore it.

I think a Tutorial video is a good idea, but not as a solution to balance issues. The best solution I've come up with so far is to have balanced be based off of whether or not LR is given, if the round lasts longer than 2 minutes and lastly just based off of who joined first, and work like a queue, kinda like GMod JB. This would encourage BLUs towards actually giving LR and playing correctly. The 2 minute timer would help kick off BLUs who are mass freekilling.

This isn't full proof, but I believe is a better option. If balanced checked for these things, I think it'd help. It would also make VIP perks more useful.

Thoughts?
I'm interested, but can you explain this in more depth?

MissMaye

The Overseer
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
ok ive actually read the thread through skipping over most ofthe big paragraps
That's easy to say, but it can't be proven until we try it out.
say this but to nintendo map servers on wln in 2019

there's no reason to not do it (besides wasted time on whoever created it I guess
skip wasting time altogether and driving a blunt nail into a wall

Status
Not open for further replies.