• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Accepted Change the deathrun servers' map voting system to a run-off voting system

Should deathrun servers change to a run-off voting system for map selection?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkinator

Trade Unionist Civilian
★ Donor ★
Nov 23, 2019
United Kingdom
The deathrun servers currently use the first past the post (FPTP) voting system to vote for each map change, in which the map that gets the most votes wins, which sounds simple enough and fair in theory. However, in practice, this often allows less than 50% of players to select the next map, when more than 50% wanted something else.

For example: dr_lazytown (38% of 30 votes) dr_dangerzone (34% of 30 votes) dr_playstation ( 17% of 30 votes) dr_bank (7% of 30 votes)

In this case: dr_lazytown wins but 62% didn't want dr_lazytown.

This often causes masses of people to leave the server and can ruin the experience, I plead to the people in charge of this to consider changing to a run-off voting system to make it fairer and improve the experience for players.

Run-off voting takes the two most popular options from a first round of voting, and puts only them into another round of voting, so the next map must get more than 50% of votes to win. Surely this small change can be done and would improve the experience by a significant amount for everyone. Best of all, it already exists, Panda.tf use it for their servers and it's great, so the software and plugins exist to implement this easily.

So, refering back to the prior example, the top two options would be put up for a final vote:
dr_dangerzone (62% of 30 votes) dr_lazytown (38% of 30 votes)

It's genius, come on, please?

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
I see what your point is, but I also would argue that this doesn't change much since people are still going to be voting for maps they did not primarily want. To be fair, though, it does show what map players would prefer between the two.

Reactions: Tinkinator

Tinkinator

Trade Unionist Civilian
★ Donor ★
Nov 23, 2019
United Kingdom
I see what your point is, but I also would argue that this doesn't change much since people are still going to be voting for maps they did not primarily want. To be fair, though, it does show what map players would prefer between the two.
That's absolutely true, I can't argue with the main point you make. However, having over 50% of voters (full majority) consenting to a map change is better than a minority (less than 50%) winning the vote, all because the majority of the votes were split against different options.

Status
Not open for further replies.