TF2 oreo's guide on basher jumping.

Oreos

:I
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jan 8, 2019
Italia!
Today i'll explain the basics of basher jumping, let's get started.

In order to do a basher jump you are going to need a Boston Basher or a Three Rune Blade (duh).
Once you have equipped the right item it's time to understand what self-hitting you does to your speed and why it can help achieve longer jumps and greater heights.
Hitting yourself gives to your current accelleration towards a direction a small boost. What does this mean? that in order to achieve great basher jumps you need to hit yourself right when your player model is accellerating the most towards the sky, and that's an instant after pressing your spacebar key.
!REMEMBER TO ALWAYS CROUCH AT ALL TIMES WHEN YOU BASHER JUMP!
The next 2 images will show the great differences between a jump where i used my basher right at the peak of a jump (when my accelleration is basically equal to 0) And a good basher jump (where i hit myself right after jumping while crouching).
Naturally times when you are going to need even more height will come, in this case do a good basher jump like the one i just explained how to do and then (WHILE CROUCHING) double jump and use the double jump accelleration to do a second good basher jump.
A VERY common mistake i see too often is people just swinging aimlessly their bashers, this not only gives you little height, it also destroy your hp bar.
Remember that you dont want to die right after a basher jump, keep in mind the following:
-You can do 2 complete self hits (hit + bleed) without dying. (you although, remain with very low hp)
-The most recommended swings for a single jump is 3 (2 almost togheter at the start and one after the double jump)
-Incredibly if you swing 4 times all at once you will survive with 1 hp.
-A basher crit oneshots light classes.
-2 normal hits can kill light classes if you wait 3 ticks of blood damage (or more) after the first hit.
-The self bleed effect lasts 5 seconds.
-Self hits and Self crits deal the same damage and knockback.
-After one full self hit you remain with 67 hp, one basher self hit does 58 damage.

Still here? nice! So what's a good map to test all of these new found skills of yours? try dm_duel_v1c Wonderland does have a server with that map in rotation, be happy!
So what kind of jumps can I try there? Have some screenshot references, the red arrows determine parts where you must be doing a basher jump, the green lines determine parts where you must be doing a double jump or a normal jump.
Naturally you can basher jump in other maps too, even stock ones. (it can be very good to rebel in jailbreak)
Basher jumping is especially useful in surprising your enemy thanks to your unusual routes. Remember to basher jump only when you know you can be healed or if there is a medipack near your destination else you are likely to die after doing one.
Advanced basher jumping, gliding and conc basher jumps.

-Advanced basher jumps.
There is very little to say about "advanced basher jumping" so i'll just say a couple strats you can use in basher jumps after getting somewhat decent at it.
The first one needs you to swing a second time after a good basher jump, this will boost the little accelleration boost of the good basher jump, you can do this up to 4 times, but your hp bar wont allow you more. Woah that means the max air time is achieved by a grand total of 8 self hits! (if you had some kind of huge health pool) -circa. while hitting yourself while going down does increase your airtime it certaintly doesnt make you go up, this is called as "gliding" more on that later.
Dont basher jump while looking at entities with collision, this will nullify your jump.

-Gliding.
i'm going to say very little about this as it's useful only when you are doing the "death fall" minigame in jailbreak.
If you hold crouch, strafe and selfhit your descending speed will get highly reduced making said minigame easier.

-Conc basher jumps.
I could do a whole guide only on conc jumps so i'll just define those quickly and move to conc basher jumps. A "conc" jump is a type of jump possible only to scouts in jump maps. By typing "+conc" in console the player will recieve a CONCussion granade. You can use said granade's knockback to traverse EXTREME distances putting rocket jumps to shame. For the basher jump part now: with great accelleration comes great boost. If you do a conc jump, crouch and swing your basher continuosly while going ONLY up you can achieve infinite height, crazy i know. If you want to do horizontal conc basher jumps, same thing but look towards the direction you want to go, gravity will pull you down with time tho so watch out.

And that concludes it. Thanks for reading and good luck on your jumping.