[READ] Serious Topic: COVID-19

Floot

★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
under a rock, on a tropical island
Yup. 3 registered cased on this little island of 1.2 million people. But I don't think there's only 3 cases. The government is hiding it from us. Some days ago, Dengue was found in a city called Port-Louis(15 cases, 4 deaths) but many people were saying that it was not Dengue but the Coronavirus itself. According to Gulf Times : "Scientists in Singapore have discovered new symptoms of Covid-19, where the patient is suspected of suffering from dengue fever."

In the fear of finding a little bit of truth in that theory, all educational infrastructures have been CLOSED, both in the public and private sector today. Exams are being postponed.

Let me share some of the situations we are facing.
In stores, there's no rice and flour and anti bacterial products are getting heavily sold. Since a travel ban was issued, rice and flour (2 most consumed items) cannot be imported.
People are crazily buying items and groceries. Even before the alert was triggered, Malls and supermarkets were getting crowded, we literally had no space to walk.

The stock of face masks ended long time ago and we cannot import more.

Internet speed is decreasing. We cannot use PayPal or link a debit cards to make online purchases. I still owe someone a Key from my previous Giveaway. I cannot even add wallet funds onto Steam.

COVID Vulnerabilities:
People are more vulnerable to the virus if they:
Are Diabetic
Have breathing problems (Asthma, Bronchitis, Emphysema)
Have weak immune system
Are old
Are already ill
Suffer from heart problems

I don't know if I have to say this, but if I'm not seen online for at least a weak or haven't replied to threads it means that I ... well.
Why? Because I have a weak immune system and I suffer from chronic bronchitis.

My mom's asthmatic and diabetic, and my sister is asthmatic too...
Asthma and diabetes is very common in this country.

Take care people.

Wash hands regularly with soap and water or use hand sanitizers
Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze
Stay at home
Avoid close contact, shake hands or kissing
Don't touch any parts of your face
Wear masks when going out and rinse your throat regularly.

Don't underestimate or ignore this pandemic outbreak. Show your concern.

Feel free to share you experiences or opinions.

Reactions: Davey

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
Damn, not really sure what to say. It seems like you're facing a really tough situation, much more tougher than mine. I don't really have any advice, just stay safe too man.

Two things out of curiosity though:
  1. Why can't you make online purchases/trades?
  2. Why are asthma and diabetes common in Mauritius?

Reactions: Redds

Floot

★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
Why can't you make online purchases/trades?

I'm still looking for an answer to that question.

Why are asthma and diabetes common in Mauritius?

1 word. Genes

Mauritius' (MU) population consist of people whose ancestors were mainly from Africa, India and China. After slavery was abolished, Indian immigrants were brought to MU where the majority were sick and poor people.

Asthma:
In my family, my granny was asthmatic. my mom is asthmatic, 2 of her 6 siblings are asthmatic too, my sister is asthmatic, my brother had a lung disease, pneumonia (He died when I was 3, at the age of 12), my father had chronic bronchitis and the list goes way longer. (Including my cousins).

Diabetes:
Around 400 000 people in MU are obese and 260 000 are diabetic. We consume a LOT of rice, sugar and fats, 3 of the most dangerous products that causes obesity and diabetes. I'm obese too, but on a diet.

• Sad
Reactions: Eight and Coal

Walnuts

ʜᴇᴀᴅ ɴᴜᴛᴄʀᴀᴄᴋᴇʀ ★ɪᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴᴛ ɴᴜᴛ★
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Aug 4, 2018
I really don't think that the corona virus is that bad, I feel as if people are overreacting and stocking up on things. such as toilet paper where I can't have anymore. I just moved out of Europe so it doesn't effect me as much as it affects others, but I do understand that a lot of people are not as fortunate as me and are having hard time. Im not the most educated person on the topic but as far as I'm aware its the flu was no vaccination. Im open to learn more about it, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Floot

Red

Maniac
Nov 4, 2018
Hellas
pls don't die floot

stay safe

Greece has quarantined all civilians.
We can't exit our houses, unless it's for re-supplement purposes.
We've gotten 2 emergency broadcasts since last week.
The situation is slowly getting worse.
I fear that the virus might possibly have more symptoms than the ones suggested.

One might say that it's just a silly virus. To an extent yes; but it's still lethal to some people. And we have to respect that.
Plus, at least here at Greece, we can't handle hospitalizing 1 million people that could be infected by this disease.

Floot

★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
1. Isn't South Africa too hot?
There was a very bad weather last weekwhere it rained for 5 continuous days+there was a tropical cyclone on Monday. Temperature fell down to *21 Deg C. (was usually 28-32 * C)
We may be safe but like @Walnuts said, people are overreacting. The South African mainland also got infected same as close by islands (Seychelles, Reunion)

2. Did you find out more about the cases the government is hiding?
The reason this was hidden because the bloody prime minister's wife and daughter were abroad. They hid it because if the alert was issued, they would not be able to come back. (Fking a-hole corrupted son of a B ).

I went out today (lol) to buy some groceries. People were FIGHTING (not rly) in the store. The price of hand sanitizers have doubled.
People are buying medicine like they won't get medicine for the next 3 years.
Cinemas are temporarily closed and supermarket's security was tighter. They only let 20 people in at a time. Every staff member were wearing gloves and face masks and were doing the 'Clean as you go' practice. (wonder wtf is "clean as you go? Click

One might say that it's just a silly virus. To an extent yes; but it's still lethal to some people. And we have to respect that.
Plus, at least here at Greece, we can't handle hospitalizing 1 million people that could be infected by this disease.
Like I said, it is lethal to people suffering from lung and heart diseases and the elderly.

I really don't mind the covid right now, it isn't that bad in my area. The main worry for me is the case of dengue that I've recently had in my neighborhood.

WE ALSO THOUGHT THAT IT WAS DENGUE BUT IT WAS NOT!

pls don't die floot
I'll try not to lol

Reactions: Red and Green.

Davey

Dallas
★ Donor ★
Mar 18, 2019
Hungary
This quarantine makes me lose my mind slowly but surely. Yesterday I had a conflict with my best friend, after which I realised that it wasn't me during that scandal. Today I woke up, cheerfully preparing for school and work, when I suddenly remembered that I couldn't go to work anymore, go to my favourite cafeteria in the morning. Shops and departments are closed; therefore, my entire city is now filled with police officers, who without any hesitation, could take you to prison if you decide to take a walk without a valid reason. But there could be only two acceptable reasons: go shopping or to the hospital. I don't want to describe my current situation in Spain furthermore, but I can tell you this. The world has changed, and it will never be the same as we knew it.

• Sad
Reactions: Floot