Science thread (So get ready)

Buckets

Nov 5, 2018
SO, i saw this video about how light can be dark and how you can create a black flashlight, but, people are saying that the solid rule is that white reflects everything and black absorbs, so let me explain the argument in the video. If you apply a light in front of a light, the light in front becomes black or DARKER, and the argument to this is, if that really is possible, and a black flashlight is created, then what will it's nature be when making contact with a white surface or a black surface, will it reflect or absorb, some people say because black is a darker shade of white, the light will reflect because it's originally white, and absorb if it's on a black surface, but my theory is that maybe when shined in front of another color, the light will cancel out

for example:
IF there is a black light going straight right and a orange light going straight up, when the black makes contact with the orange, the orange will cut off and the black will strike through, but if you replace the black light with white, the orange light will shine through or maybe change it's angle at which it shines, or maybe the lights will mix and create a darker or lighter orange depending if its black or white

so............yeah, i just found this interesting and wanted to see what your ideas on this are (Note, i did not do much research, so feel free to counter me with a better argument)

Last edited:

Floot

★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
under a rock, on a tropical island
Cool

Damn. You made me remember my physics teacher... I remember his first class I attended, he was explaining the same thing shown in this video, using 2 projectors, one showing "white" light and the other showing dark ''light'', after an upperclassman wanted to know about how can we not see the colour black...
RIP Sir...

StarOfSouls

Wired
★ Donor ★
Aug 5, 2018
Well, you kind of have to throw complete absorption out of the equation. Nothing in this world can absorb 100% light. So if the black like went up against another black light, it would reflect the light. It would not reflect it as much as against a white light. However, this is assuming that light will reflect/absorb other light. I slightly doubt the entire argument and I think that it really is not possible to test, nor even be a theoretical concept.

Buckets

Nov 5, 2018
Cool, so you're on the "it can't be done" side, well, i'm in the middle but i'm leaning more towards your side because it will take some super crazy technology to absorb 100% of light (the current is ~99.9% absorption) and the theory of putting light in front of light seems a bit ridiculous, i don't think that it is MAKING black light but rather SHOWING black light by tricking our eyes some how, so even if you did put light in front of light in a flashlight, there won't even be any light coming out because the light is just being canceled by the light behind it, and the light behind needs to be WAY bigger than the light in front, so white light will still be leaking out, but anyways, thanks for the reply!