• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Declined [Suggestion] War3Mod Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olaves

Amphetamine'd
Oct 27, 2017
London :D
So I was talking to Xypher about the number of empty servers that haven't been set up yet and I suggested adding some War3Mod servers since they were quite fun back when they were still around. He told me to suggest it here.

If you do not know what War3Mod servers are, please skim through this: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/War3Mod or watch this fairly short video.

It's quite difficult to explain but I'll do my best to summarise War3Mod. Basically, it adds "magic" to the game. There are 17 different races with 3 passive abilities and one ultimate ability. The ultimate ability needs to be bound to a certain key and can be done through console (bind [key] +ultimate). These abilities and ultimates include things such as teleportation, invisibility, health regeneration and much, much more. In the TF2 wiki link provided above, you can see all the races and abilities provided in much more detail. These abilities and ultimates need to be levelled up through earning experience points and each race has a max of 16 levels (4 for each attribute). These points are earned through getting kills, winning rounds and for just playing on the server. For doing the same things, you also receive gold which is maxed at 100. This gold is used to buy up to two single-use boosts which expire when you die. These boosts include extra speed, extra melee damage, ability to jump higher and so on. More information about these boosts can be found on the wiki link and can be bought in-game simply by typing the keywords into the chat (or opening the gold store).

War3Mod can be added to any game-modes as it does not change its objectives, rather changes the way that game-mode is played tactically. War3 is especially fun in Jailbreak as it brings out a whole new aspect to rebelling and guarding. There are not many TF2 servers that run War3Mod so by implementing it within WonderLand, it is likely to attract many new players. Furthermore, there is no harm in trying it out as there are many servers that have not been set up yet (58 last I checked) and it shouldn't cost anything extra to create a few War3Mod servers (correct me if I'm wrong on this Xypher).

Lastly, War3Mod is incredibly fun and worth the experience for anyone who has not played on them before.

If this suggestion goes ahead and War3Mod is implemented within the WonderLand Community, due to my extensive experience with it, I can write a tutorial on how to use War3Mod along with War3 rules for certain game-modes. I will also be available to help set up the servers if necessary.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
Unfortunately that thread is only visible to staff members. Any chance you could summarise your point of view? Thanks
Well sure we *could* experiment but I doubt it will lead to much. No one runs the game mode for a reason, and I'd infer that's related to how it doesn't pull in players. The PB War3 JB server did pull in players, but it had already been up for a looong while and gathered regulars probably before it died. Even then, I don't think it pulled in impressive numbers in later times, albeit that's up to many other factors probably. Anyway, besides PB, I haven't seen really any servers running this mod, and the only one I know that does is scarcely populated. There's also issues with balance & exploits. So for the most part, I'm against.

Sorry but as per my reasoning above and lack of support, I am going to reject adding this mod to our servers. I should mention that this was a suggestion previously rejected on the old IPS forums, of course though those threads are long lost.

Suggestion denied.

Prxme

Post Post Post
Jan 4, 2018
The United Kingdom
Really , The PB war3 pulled in players in a fast rate the War3 server were launched and it took 2 weeks just for that server to hit 32/32 and it got so full they made 2 war3 server the other had 20/32 after that 2years later the both servers became a 10/32 server it's still something . Since there are exploits on War3 we might as well remove every JB server because every jb server has a exploit. A exploit like getting stuck isn't going to hurt to be fair.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
Really , The PB war3 pulled in players in a fast rate the War3 server were launched and it took 2 weeks just for that server to hit 32/32 and it got so full they made 2 war3 server the other had 20/32 after that 2years later the both servers became a 10/32 server it's still something . Since there are exploits on War3 we might as well remove every JB server because every jb server has a exploit. A exploit like getting stuck isn't going to hurt to be fair.
Yeah but as far as I remember relatively War3 had a lot of exploits / was very buggy, which could add onto the workload for Jailbreak (I specifically remember a Chronos glitch that activated on random).

As for the PB War3 it did pull in regulars that managed to retain an active community for the servers in the past, but as time went on it died and wasn't able to pull in a lot of new players to compensate. Furthermore, according to what I checked on gametracker.com, there's only two active War3 servers with the others being very inactive.

Prxme

Post Post Post
Jan 4, 2018
The United Kingdom
Yeah but as far as I remember relatively War3 had a lot of exploits / was very buggy, which could add onto the workload for Jailbreak (I specifically remember a Chronos glitch that activated on random).

As for the PB War3 it did pull in regulars that managed to retain an active community for the servers in the past, but as time went on it died and wasn't able to pull in a lot of new players to compensate. Furthermore, according to what I checked on gametracker.com, there's only two active War3 servers with the others being very inactive.
But to be fair thoe we can't just deny this war3 idea if exploits is gonna deny it then we might as well delete every server it's normal for servers to have exploits we can get developers to fix it . Or staff to actively administrate it.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
But to be fair thoe we can't just deny this war3 idea if exploits is gonna deny it then we might as well delete every server it's normal for servers to have exploits we can get developers to fix it . Or staff to actively administrate it.
It's normal for things to have bugs and exploits, sure, I get what you mean. Although, my issues are that there is a significant amount of these bugs/exploits and there is questionable payoff for fixing them, as War3 is not significantly popular in TF2 as of recent.

Reactions: Prxme

Olaves

Amphetamine'd
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed that War3Mod used to have a lot of bugs within it. I'd like to hope that some of these have been fixed by the developer with time although I do not know if this is true. It is clear that there is support to have some War3 servers so although there is an opportunity cost to sorting out the bugs, I believe it is worth it. Sure it may take some time but we can release the War3Mod on servers as a Work in Progress so people know there will be bugs.

I'd also like to argue that War3 is currently not that popular in TF2 as there are not any communities with a significant playerbase such as WonderLand who run any War3 servers.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
I mean, we could release War3 servers and aim to remedy the bugs in the mod, although I feel it is to questionable gain, especially since there are already various other things all the developers we have are focusing on at the moment. Furthermore, us having a large playerbase will not be able to crutch game modes that are simply not popular anymore. Take TF2Ware for example. We have a server for it, but it is a dead game mode and so our server for it is mostly inactive. Also take the War3 server for Panda.tf as another example. They are by no means a dead community, and yet their server for War3 is quite inactive.

Olaves

Amphetamine'd
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we could release War3 servers and aim to remedy the bugs in the mod, although I feel it is to questionable gain, especially since there are already various other things all the developers we have are focusing on at the moment. Furthermore, us having a large playerbase will not be able to crutch game modes that are simply not popular anymore. Take TF2Ware for example. We have a server for it, but it is a dead game mode and so our server for it is mostly inactive. Also take the War3 server for Panda.tf as another example. They are by no means a dead community, and yet their server for War3 is quite inactive.

I understand what you are saying. I also realise that the developers are working on a project right now so this will not be top priority. But at the same time, since WL has servers to spare, there is no real harm in trying it out (at a later date when developers have more time available).

Reactions: TheMinecraftPoke
Status
Not open for further replies.