• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Jailbreak TF2 Suggestions for Jailbreak from a rule writer of an old community

Egossi

Dec 15, 2019
Hey! If you've played jailbreak in the past month there's a good chance you know me by now, and you may have seen me going on and on about a "xenogamers jailbreak" and how i wrote rules for it. Well, I don't wanna be "all talk no game", so I decided to make a couple suggestions taken directly from that server's rulebook, which I will slightly modify to fit this community's rulebook (which I have just read for the first time btw) (https://xenogamers.com/information/rules/team-fortress-2/jailbreak-rules-r16/ for reference)

Starting off, one issue I've dealt with quite often so far on the server has been bad BLUs and BLUs without mics, there is nothing preventing a bunch of silent mute and deaf people from mass joining BLU, effectively kicking the actual good guards off the team via autobalance. This could be combatted with the implementation of some sort of prerequisite action or command for entering the team, such as having to use your mic once with voice feedback (I believe either panda community or elysium(or whatever the fuck this community is called) does this), or what we had in place which was for everyone to be forced onto RED by default, and having to type /guard to wait in a queue except for the first person on it, this allowed staff members to remove bad BLUs from the team with much more weight behind the act of doing so, not to mention extremely new and often dumb players (who shouldn't be on guard) had trouble figuring out how to get on BLU in the first place.
I find it annoying that any 9 year old without a microphone can waltz into BLU team and keep getting back on in WLN, unless guard-banned.
Our tolerance for no mic BLUs was stated as "If blue has less than 4 people, then all must have mics. 4:1 ratio (1 person without mic per 4 with mics)."

A few suggestions for more definitive explanations or specifications in the rules:
  • No Detouring/Delaying is always implied regardless of whether or not it has been specified //This one is a no brainer imo, no warden ever wants detours or delays, it's an unnecessary extra step to make people say it
  • You may not camp medic or armory for more than 10 seconds. //As it stands in WLN rulebook, there is no specific time limit, which is a bit vague
  • You have 45 seconds to choose your LR. //Sometimes LR recipient takes over 3-5 minutes, which is extremely boring for the entire server
  • DRs taking place on the same day can only last 45 seconds (- 1 minute). //similar principle with the one above
  • Failure of the blues to follow through with the LR will result in a freeday. If a certain blu denies the LR, they have to slay themselves/ be slain next round. //This appears to not be specified in the rules
  • Some custom LRs can be done, however staff must be on and ALL staff that are currently on the server must vote yes or no to it. (Examples: Kart day, Admin abuse day, Heavy dogfights). //I find these fun, I don't have much of a reason for this one otherwise lol
In addition, there are a few features that I found enjoyable in the past
  • (LR Option) Panda Freeday: Freeday but all REDs must be crouching, taunting, or AFK AFM frozen at all times, taunt walking/moving is also fine, and REDs are not auto-kos if found in an unreachable location (if no BLU has seen a red go up ladders or otherwise unreachable place, they can't be killed) //Let the record show that the name of this LR has existed long before "Panda Community" and has no affiliation whatsoever with it
  • Last Guard/BLU/CT music and powerups, on our server we had a plugin that gave the last guard full crits, extra speed and jump height, and began playing custom music (which players suggested on a forum thread! https://xenogamers.com/topic/16628-last-ct-music/) //This was really fun

If I can think of more I'll add on in replies, thank you for reading!

TL;DR: i suggest cool things we had on our jb server which we tested and found to be fun back in 2013-2016

PBandJ

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 13, 2020
Tennessee, USA
No Detouring/Delaying is always implied regardless of whether or not it has been specified
This one is already in the upcoming rules update
Post automatically merged:

• You have 45 seconds to choose your LR. //Sometimes LR recipient takes over 3-5 minutes, which is extremely boring for the entire server
  • DRs taking place on the same day can only last 45 seconds (- 1 minute). //similar principle with the one above
Not sure what this entire section is referencing, since on our server, the server time is automatically set to 2 minutes once LR is given

Last edited:
Reactions: Egossi

Egossi

Dec 15, 2019
This one is already in the upcoming rules update
Post automatically merged:

Not sure what this entire section is referencing, since on our server, the server time is automatically set to 2 minutes once LR is given
Oh my bad, I must have not noticed that, I suppose what I really mean then is that 2 minutes feels very long and my suggestion would be to reduce it to 1 minute or less

Egossi

Dec 15, 2019
But that's 2 minutes to both pick an LR and do a DR
Yeah, but considering choosing or typing out an LR takes usually no more than 10-15 seconds, in worst case scenarios we end up waiting for the alive players to dick around for 1 minute and 40ish seconds, which adds up over time.

Although since I didn't ever notice the 2 minute time limit, ill concede that this is more debatable and i guess nitpicky than i made it out to be in the original post, thats fault on my part

To be clear, as someone who tried about 10 different jailbreak servers (xG, sG, black wonder, elysium, panda community, hellsgamers are the ones i remember the names of) as opposed to almost every other server I am very much enjoying playing on WLN jailbreak, otherwise i wouldnt have taken time off my day to provide what i consider constructive criticism, just to make sure none of this comes off as me bitching lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Xypher

Xypher

Owner ★★★
Jul 11, 2017
the clouds
Are your points still valid after the Jailbreak rules update?

Egossi

Dec 15, 2019
Are your points still valid after the Jailbreak rules update?
yeah i believe so, except for the "no detours or delays are always implied", that one has been addressed

speaking of which I also would like to suggest reducing warden hogging to 2-3 rounds, or making the command not spammable so people who dont have a mouse wheel bind have a chance to go warden (this one is specifically just cause of @SpringTf2 )

revelations

Senior Admin ★★
★ Donor ★
Reports & Appeals Manager ★
Jun 9, 2019
yeah i believe so, except for the "no detours or delays are always implied", that one has been addressed

speaking of which I also would like to suggest reducing warden hogging to 2-3 rounds, or making the command not spammable so people who dont have a mouse wheel bind have a chance to go warden (this one is specifically just cause of @SpringTf2 )
there's a plugin that doesn't let you go warden instantly if you've been warden 3 rounds in a row
as for not spamming the command? yeah I agree

Egossi

Dec 15, 2019
there's a plugin that doesn't let you go warden instantly if you've been warden 3 rounds in a row
as for not spamming the command? yeah I agree
yeah you cant be warden for a 4th time in a row instantly, i think that should be 2 or 3
or you should not be able to bind mwheelup and down to sm_w and input it 10000 times a second (what i meant by making it not spammable)

Egossi

Dec 15, 2019
@Xypher I like the warden being able to respawn inmates, but the entire server voting on it has proven to be an unnecessary step
why not make it instant without a vote and treat abuse of it the same as freekilling, the vote just delays rounds and opens up trolling, i have had an instance where i tried to respawn an actually freekilled person and people voted no just to troll them

and we've had multiple rounds where multiple freekills occured so we had to sit and wait for 4-5 votes to go through for just about 4-5 minutes

Xypher

Owner ★★★
Jul 11, 2017
the clouds
@Xypher I like the warden being able to respawn inmates, but the entire server voting on it has proven to be an unnecessary step
why not make it instant without a vote and treat abuse of it the same as freekilling, the vote just delays rounds and opens up trolling, i have had an instance where i tried to respawn an actually freekilled person and people voted no just to troll them

and we've had multiple rounds where multiple freekills occured so we had to sit and wait for 4-5 votes to go through for just about 4-5 minutes
you should make a separate thread for this in the suggestions subforum