Welcome Surprise

Pacifist

not a pacifist
Head-Admin ★★★
★ Donor ★
Jan 14, 2020
What are some games that you tried without knowing anything about it and you were pleasantly surprised to see it was actually a really good game and why is that?

For me, Mad Max is definitely one of them. I fully didn't expect an actual high quality game since it was completely unadvertised, but it turns out that the only real issue I personally have with it is the colours scheme (but that can't be helped since Mad Max is set in a rather bland place for colours).
Another has to be Remnant: From the Ashes. My friend and I were looking for a new co-op game we can try together and we went into this a little hesitantly, we were pleasantly surprised to fight a Dark Souls cross Fallout type of game with extremely satisfying gunplay.
Lastly, Spec Ops: The Line. It's a weird game with a fun plot twist at the end (although it does open up one or two plot holes and inaccuracies), it was just an interesting take on TPS Military style games.
What about you?

floot_guy

floot_guy
★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
floot_guy
Max payne 2 and far cry 3

I stole those games (I mean, copied it from a desktop) from a cyber-cafe I loved visiting.

I always thought fc3 would be a heavy game with bad graphics and boring story, but... I was wrong

Prisma

The one who sees
★ Donor ★
Nov 28, 2019
The Metro 2033 games were introduced to me by a friend who I saw playing them and asked if I should pick it up. When I did get it I was surprised to see such an interesting and unique story about a nuclear apocalypse where humans are living underground to hide from the terrors that lived above. The settings I saw were also very interesting and definitely portrayed what living underground would be like in a creative way.

laptivv

sanity
★ Donor ★
Jan 1, 2020
England
FNAF 1 and Chaos; Head

FNAF 1: the game is a bit spooky and with my luck, i managed to win to the 50 wave and lost but that did not stop me from good joy

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness :

From the Psycho-Pass, the system can then tell people how to live their lives for maximum happiness, determining their medical needs, job prospects, and even their potential for criminality, with the latter figure displayed as a "Crime Coefficient." People with too high a Crime Coefficient get labelled as "Latent Criminals," and are targeted for isolation, torturous "therapy," or even death, by the detectives of the Criminal Investigation Division. the good game just slow frames :L

the second one is Psycho is copy and paste btw the way I explain won't make sense there is an easier way of it making sense.

MissMaye

The Overseer
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
turnip boy commits tax evasion
hollow knight
cookie run: ovenbreak on mobile
honestly tf2 fell under this category when i started so that too
borderlands 2
serious sam (the one on the original xbox)
billy hatcher on gamecube
chuchu rocket for the dreamcast
tony hawks pro skater 4 for gamecube
and simpsons hit and run its janky as fuck but still fun

turnip boy is still a demo thats free for download but its in short an rpg wher you pay debt so like, a very simpel animal crossing with combat
hollow knight, very excellent metroidvania cute main character my introduction to metroidvanias personally 10/10 play it
cr:eek:b is a mobile game with almost too much to do but i stopped playing after playing it for so long, collect-em-all skill based
tf2: heavy is spy! heavy is spy! MEDIC IS SPY! DOCTOR! MEEEEEDIIIIIC! POOTISnom nom nom, om nom.
borderlands 2 was on sale and i had a usb xbox controller why not
serious sam: first person shoot em up in open world settings with cartoonish hud and cartoon blood bro
billy hatcher: i'm a sucker for gamecube games and this one could break your thumbsticks
chuchu rocket: cat n mouse game where cat chase mouse into designated hole, good numbers game
thps4: its atony hawks game from before they shit the soul out of the franchise arguably one of the better skater games
simp har: i have no insurance! i'm soaring like a candy wrapper in an updraft! Oww, my ass! The vibrations tickle my feet!

Stao

Bully
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Nov 20, 2018
Minnesota
Moving to other games.

Also, honestly, Fortnite wasn't that bad when I played it the one time, but I just can't stand the characters and community.

LA Noire was pretty darn good too.

echobug

Oct 12, 2019
da burbs
CrossCode, by a longshot

it was on my steam recommended thingamajig and while it wasn't finished (which was always a thing that tended to stop me buying indie games, magicite and roguelands were too games i enjoyed a lot but were just dropped to develop other games), the concept of an ARPG in an MMO was like, instantly amazing. don't think i've ever heard of anything like it before.

bought it and my lord the game is so fun. think i've almost clocked in 100 hours over two playthroughs? it's story is really unique considering its setting, the characters are all lovable (lea and emilienator are just,,, the best) and the combat system flows so well it's insane. i don't see a lot of talk about it which blows but i'd seriously recommend it

(also how could you love a game with a face like this)
Lea